Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Personality profile

After being asked "What do you you want to do when you grow up?" I always think about the endless opportunities I have as a senior in high school. Every couple of weeks I change my mind as to what I want to do after high school. I have thought about going into the military, making candles, and even being a veterinary. As I am finishing up my senior year, I have been narrowing down my choices. After seeing my Sister take the steps to becoming a teacher, I have become more and more interested in her career path. I sat down with my sister, Heather Cimellaro, a teacher at Lyman Moore in Portland this past weekend and talked about life as a teacher. I started the interview by asking the obvious question, "How long have you wanted to be a teacher?". She didn't even have to think about the answer. "I had thoughts about it all through high school, but I never thought that I would be able to do it.". Heather graduated from Freeport High School eight years ago. She attended a art school for a couple years but decided that art was more of a hobby. After leaving the art school, she attended college at the University of Southern Maine for four years. I asked her what kind of teacher she wanted to be, a cool teacher, or a strict teacher. She answered the question with "Of course I want my students to like me, but I also want them to respect me.".  I then asked her what school she would choose to teach at if she had the choice. "Even if I could choose any school, I think I would still want to teach at Lyman Moore. I really like the other teachers, and I love the students too!". I followed the question with "What is your absolute favorite thing about Lyman Moore?". Like all of the other questions, she answered it instantly. "I love the diversity, I have students from all over the world, from Iraq to Mexico, it's great!". That's really great to hear from a teacher I thought. The subject changed a little when I asked her if she wanted to teach high school. "I'm not quite sure yet, I teach sixth grade social studies, and I love it. Teaching high school would be a lot different. Maybe someday, but right now I'm fine where I am.". We talked more about teaching, and some of her students, but then got right back to business. "What steps did you have to take to become a teacher?" I asked. "It was a lot easier than I thought it would be, don't get me wrong, it's a lot of work, but it was fun and definitely worth it." She then told me step by step what she had to do to become a teacher. She had to get her bachelors degree, major in history, and go through the Etep program. She told me again, "Definitely worth it.". I switched gears a little by asking her if she thought teachers made enough money. "Who wouldn't want to make more money" she chuckled "the only thing that I feel like teachers don't get enough of is respect.". I thought about what she said, and I had to agree. In my option, teachers practically raise the country's youth. I shared this thought with her and she made a teachers pet joke, we had a good laugh. As the interview reached an end, I thanked her and we went on our separate ways

3 comments:

  1. I think this would be a good career choice for you. I would agree that is is probably a lot of work and it would take a couple years of collage to become a teacher but it would be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really nice piece, though you do have a few grammatical errors here and there. Yours and her passion for teaching really comes through in this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I could see you as a teacher, but I think that it's cool that you are interested in helping the next generation of students.

    ReplyDelete